Tooltips are text labels containing informative text that appear when users hover over, long-press, or focus an element. Tooltips provide short descriptive text about their associated element.
Tooltips should be as short as possible and provide additional information for buttons or form inputs.
Tooltips are always used for supplemental information. Essential information that clarifies an action or demonstrates requirements for a form input should always be immediately visible on the page.
How to Use
Things to know when using the tooltip plugin:
- Tooltips rely on the 3rd party library Popper.js for positioning. You must include popper.min.js before aurora.js.
- Tooltips are opt-in for performance reasons, so you must initialize them yourself.
- Tooltips with zero-length titles are never displayed.
container: 'body'to avoid rendering problems in more complex components (like our input groups, button groups, etc).
- Triggering tooltips on hidden elements will not work.
- Tooltips for
disabledelements must be triggered on a wrapper element.
- When triggered from hyperlinks that span multiple lines, tooltips will be centered. Use
white-space: nowrap;on your
<a>s to avoid this behavior.
- Tooltips must be hidden before their corresponding elements have been removed from the DOM.
Hover over the button below to see a tooltip:
<button type="button" class="btn btn-secondary" data-toggle="tooltip" data-placement="bottom" title="Tooltip on bottom"> Tooltip </button>
For more information about using tooltips, reference Bootstrap's documentation.
In their regular state, tooltips are styled as follows:
Tooltips are placed 5px away from the element it is describing. Tooltips are contained within a rectangle with a padding of 5px by 7px, with a border radius of 4px, and a fill colour of #666666 with a 90% opacity. The text is displayed using Nunito Sans Regular at 14px in #FFFFFF.